Who doesn’t love a good burger? Our Level2 Registered Dietitians have cooked up a fantastic one that offers a perfect proportion of protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats — plus a little spice just to keep things interesting. And for a nice bonus? Fries made from rutabaga and grilled veggies! Check out the recipes below and watch our cooking video for inspiration.
CILANTRO LIME JALAPEÑO BURGERS
Ingredients for 4-5 burgers:
- 1 lb organic ground turkey, hamburger or chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2-3 tbsp red onion, diced
- 3/4 medium jalapeño, finely diced (seeds removed)
- 2-3 tbsp green onion, chopped
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive or avocado oil
- Aioli Sauce
- ¼ cup light mayo
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- Provolone cheese
- Avocado (1 small or medium)
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl and form into patties.
- Heat avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil in skillet on medium, then add patties to sear, about 3-4 minutes either side. once browned, add a splash or two of water and cover, to steam/finish cooking, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with guacamole slices and provolone cheese on top.
Nutrition Information (Serving size 1 burger): Calories: 206 / Total Fat: 10 grams / Total Carbs: 5 grams / Dietary Fiber: 2 grams / Total Protein: 24 grams
Nutrition for a whole grain hamburger bun: Calories: 120/ Fat: 2 g/ Carbs: 23g/ Protein 6 g
Nutrition info for provolone cheese: Calories: 80/ Fat: 6 g/ Carbs: 1 g/ Protein: 6 g
Nutrition info for ¼ of an avocado: Calories: 60/ Fat: 5.5 g/ Carbs: 3.2 g/ Protein: .8 g
Nutrition (Aioli, 1 Tbsp): Calories: 46 cals / Fat: 3.6 g
TOTAL NUTRITION: 512 cals/ 27 g fat/ 32.2 g carb/ 36.8 g protein
- 1 Rutabaga (medium)
- 2 Tbsp Avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 425
- Cut one rutabaga into rectangle slices or circles. Keep them about ¼ inch thick.
- Coat with avocado oil, sea salt and black pepper.
- Arrange them in a single layer on a rack. Do not crowd — air flow is important.
- Bake at 425 for 35-40 minutes. They should be soft on the inside, crispy on the outside. (You can try these in an air fryer, too, for a quicker cooking time!)
Nutrition Facts (Serving Size: 4): Calories: 96 / Total Fat: .5g / Total Carbohydrate: 8 g / Protein: 1.7 g
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Yellow Bell pepper (or any color you prefer)
- 1 Onion
- Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and any other seasonings you like you use!
- Make sure to cut your veggies in similar sized pieces so they grill evenly! The beauty of grilling veggies is you can throw together any of your favorites. Tip: If you have a grill basket, preheat the grill basket for 10-15 minutes ahead of time. You can use tin foil as well.
- Grill until browned and tender – around 10 minutes.
- Fill half your plate with your grilled veggies.
Nutrition Facts (per 1 cup serving): Calories: 77 / Total Fat: 4 grams / Carbohydrates: 9 grams / Fiber: 3 grams / Protein: 2 grams
Sep. 16 2021