Are you willing to give tofu a try? While some people have their doubts, tofu is filled with healthy protein and can be delicious. Here’s a simple tofu salad to get you started.
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 3/4 pound tofu (firm)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, reduced calorie
- 3 teaspoons brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce, low-sodium
- 1/2 cup celery (diced)
- 1 tablespoon onion (diced)
- 1/2 green pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (minced)
1. Prepare tofu by draining the water from the packageand placing tofu between two plates. Put a heavy object on top and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the water that collects on the bottom plate every few minutes.
2. In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard and soy sauce.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the diced tofu, celery, onion, pepper, and parley; stir in the mayonnaise mixture and toss gently to coat.
4. Refrigerate covered until the flavors are blended – at least one hour.
5. Use as a sandwich filling or on top of whole grain crackers.
Source: University of Connecticut, Family Nutrition Program, Senior Nutrition Awareness Project (SNAP) Newsletters, choosemyplate.gov