Craving a little comfort food in the fall and winter? Looking for a healthier alternative while you watch your favorite team? Try this nutritious spin to classic chili.
Ingredients (Makes 10 servings)
- 4 cups white beans (cooked*)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red pepper (chopped)
- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 1 chopped green chili (can adjust to taste)
- 3 garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 2 cups milk, low-fat (1%)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 3/4 pound chicken (cooked and cubed)
- 6 corn tortillas (toasted and cut into 1 inch squares)
1. Sauté peppers and onion in olive oil.
2. Add green chili, garlic, spices and chicken broth. Simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Add milk, cooked beans, and cooked chicken. Allow to thicken before adding cilantro. Heat through.
4. Top chili with crisp tortillas before serving.
Source: Washington State WIC Program, The Bold and Beautiful Book of Bean Recipe, choosemyplate.gov
Jan. 08 2021