Roasted Cauliflower with Turmeric and Tahini Sauce
4-8 servings, as a main or side dish
When cauliflower is roasted, it takes on a wonderful nutty character. Dipped in or drizzled with tahini sauce, this roasted cauliflower is a meal in itself but it also works well as a side dish. If you have vegetable-haters in your life, try serving them this recipe. They may find they love cauliflower!
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 3 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- 3/4 cup/180 mL olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- Salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup/125 mL tahini
- 1/3 cup/80 mL lemon juice
- 1/4 cup/60 mL olive oil
First Published by Greystone Books Ltd.
- Assemble, prepare and measure ingredients. Break cauliflower into florets and spread onto two ungreased baking sheets. Roughly chop cilantro and mint. Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C.
- For the cauliflower, pour olive oil into a small bowl, stir in cumin and turmeric, and season with salt and pepper. Spoon spiced olive oil over cauliflower and toss to coat florets evenly. Roast for about 45 minutes, checking occasionally to confirm cauliflower isn’t burning. Do not turn cauliflower unless you want even browning.
- For the tahini sauce, place garlic cloves in a mortar or on a wooden board. Add salt, 1 teaspoon at a time, and use the pestle or flat side of a knife to break down garlic and make a paste. In a small bowl, stir this garlic paste with tahini, lemon juice, 1/4 cup/60 mL water, and olive oil. Set aside.
- Toss roasted cauliflower with chopped herbs, transfer to a serving platter or individual bowls and serve with tahini sauce on the side.