The appetizer spread is often what we run to when we’re hungry and excited to experience new flavors. However, appetizers are often carb-heavy, leaving few options for those with type 2. These delicious recipes will keep you healthy without making you sacrifice taste.
Guacamole Deviled Eggs
This spin on the traditional deviled egg will take things up a notch.
6 hard-boiled eggs, halved
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons minced red onion
3 tablespoons mayo
1 tablespoon lime juice
⅛ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Mash avocado and hardboiled egg yolks in a bowl.
- Add in the cilantro, mayo, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Fill egg white halves with the mixture and sprinkle with paprika. Refrigerate until ready to enjoy.
Prosciutto Wrapped Pears
A platter of these decadent pears will dazzle your guests.
4 ripe, yet firm, pears
6 thin slices of prosciutto, cut into fourths
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut pears in half lengthwise and remove the cores. Then, cut lengthwise into 3 slices.
- Wrap each pear slice in a piece of prosciutto and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake approximately 14 to 16 minutes, until the prosciutto is crisp and begins to brown.
- Remove and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Hummus Stuffed Mushrooms
Keep the carbs down without feeling deprived, thanks to these yummy mushrooms.
6 portobello mushrooms, stems and core removed
¾ cup roasted red pepper hummus
½ cup cream cheese, softened
½ green bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sear mushrooms for 3 minutes on each side until browned.
- Combine cream cheese, hummus, green pepper and stir.
- Season mushroom caps with salt and pepper and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with lemon pepper and fill with hummus mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Dec. 21 2020