Alcohol can send your glucose levels on a rollercoaster ride and that’s why it is so important to understand the ways in which it impacts you. With Level2, you can see how beverages affect your body so that you can make informed decisions to keep you healthy, without feeling deprived. No more guessing what is right for you.
Ideally, your calories and carbs will come from nutritious, whole foods instead of drinks, so it’s helpful to know what beverages are the best options to keep your sugars in check. It’s also important to talk to your healthcare team about the potential effects alcohol can have on your body.
Here are our top tips for drinking this holiday season:
- Stay well hydrated by drinking at least 8 ounces of water between alcoholic beverages
- Don’t drink on an empty stomach
- Moderation is key: limit alcoholic beverages to 1/day for women and 2/day for men
- Check your glucose levels regularly, starting a few minutes after you begin drinking your first beverage, to see how alcohol affects your body. Remember, it may take more than 15 minutes to see the effects.
If you consume alcohol, try these lower-carb options:
- Dry wines or champagne
- Light beers
- Distilled Liquor
- Low or no-sugar mixers such as diet tonic, fresh lemon or lime juice, or club soda
We’re here to help you make informed decisions this holiday season so that you can live smart and live well. Your friends at Level2 are here to help you celebrate.
Dec. 21 2020